• Dogs and Puppies
  • Livestock
  • Birds
  • Cats and Kittens
  • Fish and Aquatics
  • Horses and Ponies
  • Insects and Spiders
  • Jobs - Working with Animals
  • Pet Accessories
  • Pet Services
  • More
    All categories
    • All categories
    • Dogs and Puppies
    • Livestock
    • Birds
    • Cats and Kittens
    • Fish and Aquatics
    • Horses and Ponies
    • Insects and Spiders
    • Jobs - Working with Animals
    • Pet Accessories
    • Pet Services
    • Pets - Other
    • Pet Supplies & Equipment
    • Pets Wanted
    • Rabbits
    • Reptiles and Amphibians
    • Small Pets
    Please select a location from the drop-down list

    Spotlight on Lungworm

    NewsDogs and puppiesThursday 21 March 2013
    Share:

    Nationwide campaign launched to help educate owners of potentially fatal risks.

    Show date: 21st March 2013   

    Show time: 4pm

    Last year’s damp summer and mild winter conditions have proved ideal for slug and snail populations, leading experts to warn of a continued spread of lungworm (A. vasorum) in the UK.

    All dog owners are being urged to be on the lookout for the potentially fatal disease caused by infection of the parasite.

    Lungworm (A. vasorum) is a parasite that dogs become infected with after eating common garden slugs and snails carrying the larvae.

    Once inside the dog’s system, the parasite travels through the body eventually ending up in the heart. If the infection is left untreated, the dog’s health can rapidly deteriorate, and can even result in death.

    Joining us today is Jennie Bond and Luke Gamble to explain the risks and symptoms of lungworm and encourage all dog owners to participate in a nationwide pledge to #BeLungwormAware.

     

     

    Image: www.lungworm.co.uk

    News
    Subscribe to our newsletter