• Dogs and Puppies
  • Livestock
  • Birds
  • Cats and Kittens
  • Fish and Aquatics
  • Horses and Ponies
  • Insects and Spiders
  • Jobs - Working with Animals
  • Pet Accessories
  • Pet Services
  • More
    All categories
    • All categories
    • Dogs and Puppies
    • Livestock
    • Birds
    • Cats and Kittens
    • Fish and Aquatics
    • Horses and Ponies
    • Insects and Spiders
    • Jobs - Working with Animals
    • Pet Accessories
    • Pet Services
    • Pets - Other
    • Pet Supplies & Equipment
    • Pets Wanted
    • Rabbits
    • Reptiles and Amphibians
    • Small Pets
    Please select a location from the drop-down list

    More than 50 dogs, cats and rabbits saved from housefire in Plymouth.

    NewsPets in generalTuesday 30 April 2013
    Share:

    An elderly couple left a roast dinner in the oven which caught fire at around 16.30. Thankfully for them and their fifty two pets smoke alarms caught their attention and they escaped from the burning house. Their fifty two pets were also saved by the Plymouth fire service.

    The man and woman are both being treated for smoke inhalation. Their daughter who lives in the house escaped unharmed. Fire chiefs believe it was the smoke alarms which saved the lives of the family and their pets. The animals were all rescued unharmed.

    The RSPCA have the mammoth task of having to safely re-home each one of the pets. Likewise the fire emergency support services that are provided for by the Red Cross are dealing with re-housing the family for the moment.

    Fire crews were said to have difficulty entering the property due to large amounts of pet supplies around the house and they advised that all houses should have a clear exit route.

    Reporting on behalf of the fire service Ricky Selley said that “Access into the property was difficult because there were a lot of storage materials.

    “The smoke alarms undoubtedly saved the householders’ lives. The fire service would like to remind people to keep their escape route clear at all times.”

    The kitchen was severly damanged and the house was said to be 20% damaged by smoke cover.

    James Sanders who is lives nearby said that “Sitting in the living room you can often hear the fire trucks going past. But when I heard one coming into the street I looked out the window at saw it parking at the top of the road, followed by another one.

    “Then I saw smoke pouring from an upstairs window.

    “The firefighters put their breathing apparatus on and went in.

    “It was pandemonium up there.

    “I didn’t see any flames, just smoke. The fire was in the kitchen, which is at the back of the house on the ground floor and I saw smoke coming from an upstairs room at the front of the house.

    “So it must be a bit of a mess in there.”

    “I wouldn’t like to even guess how many animals are in there. The family have always had quite a few animals at a time.”

     
     
     

    Source: This is Plymouth

     
     
    News
    Subscribe to our newsletter