History of the Bernese Mountain Dog
The Bernese mountain dog is a large breed of dog that isbecoming more and more popular as a pet. Their large size, friendly nature andstriking appearance means that Bernese mountain dogs for sale can fetch quitelarge amounts of money. Bernese mountain dogs are very friendly and good withadults and children alike. Read on to find out more about Bernese mountaindogs.
Bernese Mountain DogOrigins
- Like all dogs, the Bernese mountain dog originally descended from the wolf and was used as an all purpose farm dog for herding and pulling carts in the Swiss Alps. This is still evident in the Bernese mountain dog’s large strength.
- The Bernese mountain dog is known as the Berner Sennenhund in the Swiss Alps and is one of four members of the Sennenhund type dogs. The Bernese mountain dog is also quite similar to the St. Bernard Dog. Bernese mountain dogs were eventually taken elsewhere and are now popular all over the world.
- The tricolour black, white and tan markings present on Bernese mountain dogs for sale are one of the main things that are shared with other Sennenhund dogs.
- The Bernese mountain dog has a much shorter lifespan than other dogs, even larger dogs and the average age of death is just 7 years old, it is however known for Bernese mountain dogs to live for 10 years or so.
- Bernese mountain dogs can be prone to a number of health issues, specifically ailments such as hip dyslasia, arthritis and other musculoskeletal problems. These problems usually show their first signs of appearing at roughly 4.5 years old. When buying Bernese mountain dog puppies for sale, examine the health records of both parents to ensure that they don’t have these problems. It must be said however that finding adult Bernese mountain dogs for sale without musculoskeletal problems will be tricky.
- Cancer is the cause of death for over half of all Bernese mountain dogs and this is a fact that should be accepted when buying Bernese mountain dog puppies for sale.
- The coat of Bernese mountain dogs for sale is fairly long but keeps itself in check quite well, therefore a good brushing once every two weeks should be sufficient. When buying Bernese mountain dog puppies for sale, you should expect a dog that will shed its fur and leave fur drifts. A good dog comb will help when caring for Bernese mountain dogs.
You can search for Bernese mountain dog puppies forsale on Clickpets. You can also search for a wide variety of dog accessoriesfor sale such as dog combs, dog beds and dog toys.
Dwarf Campbells Russian Hamster Breed Guide
Pumi Breed Guide
Bichon Havanese Breed Guide